- test :
The new year brings many things—Hope, a fresh start, and usually some cold weather. Between the pandemic and the weather, we’re spending plenty of time in our homes. After spending the last year inside, there are probably more than a few changes you’ve added to your mental checklist: new paint, better workspace for yourself or your kids, projects for old furniture, etc. While some projects don’t require a professional, others demand more than just a DIY YouTube video. We’ve put together a list of projects that will give your space a fresh look and, in some cases, add value to your home.
If you’re looking to refresh a room, a new coat of paint can make a world of difference. Here are a couple of ideas for your kitchen, bedrooms, and everything in between!
- According to Behr, the new color trends for 2021 reflect a warm and earthy feel. Colors like Seaside Villa, Cellini Cold, and Saffron Strands. These colors would look good in any room of your home.
- A fun and popular idea for homes with kids is chalkboard paint. This reasonably inexpensive project allows your kids to draw on the walls and keep track of their school work. It might even hold their attention for more than 5 minutes!
- Painting and resurfacing fireplaces add value to your home without a hefty price tag. Products like Giani Brick Transformations are affordable options for whitewashing your brick fireplace and have easy to follow instructions.
- Are you looking for a more challenging project? Try hand painting your design! Use painter’s tape to create designs and keep edges crisp. The sky’s the limit for what you can create!
Upcycling old furniture is one of the oldest hacks for DIY gurus everywhere. Whether it’s dressers, nightstands, chairs, or stools, it’s a great and affordable way to add a pop of color to a room or give new life to old and beat up furniture.
- Stenciling then painting is a fun and calming way for those who have the time. There are endless combinations of designs and colors that will complement any room.
- Reupholstering requires tools like a staple gun and screwdriver, and in some projects, a sewing kit. Each project will require different steps. Look into specific steps before starting your project, so you know what materials and tools you need and how you’ll need to use them.
When building or renovating a home, it’s essential to keep in mind what functionality you and your family need. Think practically and honestly about what you need out of a home, not just what looks good on HGTV. Whether you’re taking on a whole home remodel or looking to build your own, look no further than Ricky Can Build It! Call today to get started!
For those more building-inclined, say goodbye to buying shelving online and dealing with all of the little pieces that come with it.
- Bookshelves are always a great way to take up space in a room while adding storage and extra areas to decorate. Whether it’s traditional, ladder shelving or singular shelves hung on the wall; there are plenty of options to build what you want! Consider adding shelving for display in the kitchen or bathroom. Not only is it functional, but it adds more personality!
- Storage benches and closets for entryways, laundry rooms, or mudrooms are popular and commonly found in new homes. These storage types can cost a pretty penny when purchased from stores, so why not build your own for a fraction of the price?
Transforming a space with fun DIY projects makes a house feel like a home. If you’re ready to go beyond DIY into an entire home renovation or a custom home build, Ricky Can Build It is at your service! Contact Northern Virginia’s trusted team of home builders to make your dream home come to life.